Advertisement

Yerba Mate Kombucha!

topic posted Tue, May 31, 2005 - 8:55 AM by  Danny
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hey there everyone!

Recently I started my two new babies in Yerba Mate tea, as opposed to white/green tea. When all was said and done, it was delicious! The question I have is whether or not all the antioxidants and beneficial goin ons of the Yerba Mate are now infused with the healing forces of the Kombucha.

I mean, it makes sense! Does anyone have any experience or information regarding this?

Thanks!
posted by:
Danny
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Re: Yerba Mate Kombucha!

Thu, June 9, 2005 - 5:38 PM
    ive never made it..but it makes complete sense!! ya two cosmic entities in one..brilliant!

Wed, June 29, 2005 - 6:39 PM
      Hey Everyone!

Whoa, so sorry for the delay in response! So, Im now onto my third generation of Kombucha mushrooms. Thus far I have Buchie, Buchie Jr. and Buchie III, and their kids. Whooo!

Of the six jars, half I made with Yerba Mate and half with a combination of Immunity/Detox teas from Yogi Teas. And to tell u the truth, the YM tea tastes INCREDIBLE, while the others were super sour. YM Kombucha has an almost cinnamon taste.

Take care all!
      Danny

Wed, June 15, 2005 - 2:35 AM
    How much Yerba Mate per gallon did you use?
    How well did the mushrooms reproduce?

Curious to try it...

Wed, June 15, 2005 - 10:33 PM
      i have always heard yerba didn't work too well.
      after reading this post i made some- it's been about two weeks- it still hasn't peaked out yet (gotten to the carbonaty/vinegary state), not sure if it will.

i basically tastes like kombucha that's not ready yet--still too sweet. the mother did reproduce though, so that's a good sign.

it's still in process, so i'll post again if it ever finishes.

Thu, June 23, 2005 - 12:55 PM
        we egarly await your report, eric!

Wed, June 29, 2005 - 10:36 PM
          never fully matured.
          lately my kombucha has been really slow to brew though- i'm wondering if it's just not warm enough in my kitchen. i'm moving all my new batches to my office, which is much warmer.

anyone know of good containers to brew large batches in?
          i've been using the 5 gallon igloos- but the tops leak when water splashes.

eric

Sun, July 10, 2005 - 1:13 AM
            Igloos like coolers?
            Use 1-2 gallon glass jars and our brews will come faster.
            Also, if you want to make mate kombucha you need to mix in some black tea with it. I made some a couple of weeks ago and it was really good.

Fri, July 15, 2005 - 10:23 PM
    i read that kombucha needs a certain amount of caffiene to be happy. mix with black, like margot suggested, or green tea.

Mon, July 25, 2005 - 12:23 AM
      Interesting thought... is caffeine really what the kombucha pellicle needs, or is it something else in the tea?

On the one hand, Yerba Mate has loads of caffeine (don't believe that "mateine" myth for a second -- there is no such thing as a stereoisomer of caffeine).

On the other hand, has anyone experimented with using decaffeinated green tea as a kombucha food source?

Mon, July 25, 2005 - 11:09 PM
        good question. i like when people ask questions that make me dig deeper.

here's a portion of an interesting article that i found which you may want to check out in entirety (www.bluemarble.de/Norbert/k...ient.htm):

Black or green tea provides all the additional components and growth factors required by the Kombucha culture. It not only contains a number of important trace elements but also nitrogen compounds, carbohydrates, enzymes and vitamins. The stimulating components, caffeine and theophylline, belong to the purine groups which are required for building nucleic acids. Since these groups are used by the microorganisms, it could be assumed that the caffeine and theophylline in the tea are actually used up because they represent a source of nitrogen. What happens to the caffeine in Kombucha tea is a frequently asked question and this perhaps provides the likely answer. Total nitrogen in black tea represents 4.5% of the dry weight: 0.92% is found in soluble proteins, 2.51% is insoluble and 1.07% is contained in caffeine (for a tea containing 3.71% caffeine) and theophylline. According to one source (Abraham, 1995) green tea contains 5% caffeine and black tea only 2%. Green tea therefore provides more than twice the amount of nitrogen for the Kombucha culture. It is important to keep in mind that herbal teas do not contain these particular important nutrients and can for this and other reasons not be considered very suitable for making Kombucha.
        G√ľnther Frank (1994) already mentioned that Bing considers the purines - and caffeine belongs to this family - as providers of important nutrients for Kombucha. My assumption that the microorganisms in Kombucha do in fact break down caffeine to obtain critical nutrients is supported by an analysis performed by David Chappuis. He reported in a post to the Kombucha discussion group that he observed a reduction of caffeine by 25% during the first two weeks.

on another site (the happy herbalist) they suggest mixing yerba mate with tea to "maintain the kombucha strain". they didn't offer any details beyond that.
        i am skeptical of yerba mate myself. i experienced the kind of fatigue i get from caffeine.

as for brewing, everyone says something different when it comes to the best way. some even say decaffeinated tea is ok to use.
        when i get confused, i find it helpful to look toward traditional methods.

Recent topics in "Kombucha Tea"