Advertisement

no fizz

topic posted Mon, February 26, 2007 - 6:14 PM by  January
Share/Save/Bookmark
Sorry to post so often- this is my first batch I just drank and bottled and so I feel like a dumbass. Anyway, there was absolutely no fizz. Does it matter? I mean, I don't care, but does that, like, mean something? It tasted kindof like apple juice. (I added some normal sweet tea to it because it was too sour after fermenting for two weeks)

But yeah, the point of this post is there was no fizz and te question is, does it matter?
posted by:
January
Texas
Advertisement
  • Re: no fizz

Mon, February 26, 2007 - 6:30 PM
    No appologies necessary for your frequency of posting. Your questions are precisely why this forum exists for us to all share and learn from one anothers' experiences!
    No fizz is definitely not a big deal. Fizziness is based on all kinds of factors including the type of tea used, the type and quantity of sugar used, and the heat of the ferment. Different folks have different results, too!
    My kombucha almost always comes out of the cask flat. The most sure way to get fizz in my experience is to bottle it when still a bit sweet and let sit in a warm place in a closed container for a few days. This causes the ferment to go anaerobic and start generating carbon dioxide. After that, keep it chilled to prevent it from going a little too far and turning ultra sour like vinegar.

Tue, February 27, 2007 - 7:22 AM
      my first batch had no fizz as well. I really liked the fizz of GTs and wanted to figure out how to create it for myself. I found, as mojo said, that bottling and letting it sit in a closed system for around four days adds a LOT of carbonation. I also find that flavoring my teas adds much more fizz. I would attribute this to both sugar in the additives but also more surface area for the CO2 to form.

I use EZ-cap bottles (any homebrew supply store carries them, or plenty of places online) they REALLY seal tightly. I also always bottle with a strip of fresh ginger and some form of dried fruit. I've been experimenting a lot and haven't found a fruit i don't like yet. I've tried dried mango, cranberries, blueberries, apples and strawberry, all with ginger. The mango had the most sugar and those bottles all but exploded when i popped the cap off!

Let us know how i turns out if you bottle and throw something in! The other great thing about bottling in the ez-caps is their small size... you can experiment with one bottle and not feel like you're ruining a lot if you don't like the taste.

i also keep detailed notes to keep track of what i'm doing, mostly for my own reference. it's helped me remember exactly what i've done with each batch and bottle:
      ryeli.vox.com/library/pos...batch+recap/

Tue, February 27, 2007 - 9:48 AM
    green tea also definitely makes a fizzier drink than black does.

Tue, February 27, 2007 - 10:46 AM
      i wish i liked green tea more.. it seems to also encourage faster scoby growth.. i'm thinking about brewing half black/half green for more carbonation and faster growth

Tue, February 27, 2007 - 1:13 PM
        or more accurately, green tea discourages microbial action less than black tea. mostly due to reduced tannin content.
        • Unsu...

Re: no fizz

Tue, February 27, 2007 - 1:37 PM
          I've found using my continuous brew system that it really depends on what time of day, temp, etc., whether it's fizzy.

Sampling mine throughout the day the flavor and amount of carbonation varies greatly from the morning until the late evening.

Tue, February 27, 2007 - 6:20 PM
      wow- thank y'all! I did use the green tea and I love the way it tastes- like apply juice- kindof. I will experiment more with your suggestions. Thanks Treja for taking the time to send one of your babies to Texas! It has already multiplied and my mom, granna, and aunt all have a baby!

Tue, February 27, 2007 - 7:05 PM
        hooray!! I'm glad they worked for you and that you have people to SHARE with!! Thats awesome!!

Recent topics in "Kombucha Tea"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Candida ;(....ladies! heather 38 November 3, 2014
Divide scoby Rebecca 1 November 1, 2014
One fruit fly! Help! Becky 1 September 9, 2014
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014