Advertisement

honey instead of sugar

topic posted Sat, June 4, 2005 - 2:09 AM by  Tim
Share/Save/Bookmark
Has anyone experimented with honey instead of sugar? I used pu erh tea, honey and kombucha culture to create a savory elixer that tasted a lot like mead. Not quite as quenching and crisp as regular kombucha but it was nice change. Any other experiences using honey?
posted by:
Tim
offline Tim
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Re: honey instead of sugar

Tue, June 7, 2005 - 8:50 PM
    I used to use honey because it has greater medicinal properties than sugar (harmonizes the liver and neutralizes toxins. From "Healing With Whole Foods":Norht Atlantic Books), and in general can be better for you. Honey seemed to stop the reproduction of the pads though, which, in the semi-isolated area where I lived that was already abundant with kombucha, was not a bad thing. The Kombucha pads seem to not thrive as well with the honey. My sugestion would be to alternate between different sweetners. I've experimented with rapadura ( a minimally refined form of sugar) as well, and some of my friends have had success using various types of fresh pressed fruit juices.
    • Re: honey instead of sugar

Wed, June 8, 2005 - 11:21 PM
      In my experiance, the unrefined, raw sugar really is the most successfull sweetener. We tried rice syrup and it fermented rapidly into vineger. Does any one have any experiance with using the vineger? I put it on "hot spots" on my kitty, washed the floor (general dissinfectant/cleaner), good for the skin, Hair rinse....there are tons of uses for the vineger as well as the non vineger kombucha. I am convinced of the healing properties and yummy heady energy!!!!
      YEAH FOR KOMBUCHA

Recent topics in "Kombucha Tea"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014
One fruit fly! Help! Becky 0 August 15, 2014
Getting the labels off GT kombucha bottles DD 0 July 19, 2014
my first scoby Roger 0 June 3, 2014