Advertisement

COFFEE KOMBUCHA?

topic posted Fri, February 2, 2007 - 3:28 PM by  Helene
Share/Save/Bookmark
Somewhere, in some thread, someone mentioned making kombucha with coffee. while I will give it a try when I have babies to spare for experimenting, and have acquired more glass jars, I'd be very interested in any one's experience in using coffee and also the rough proportion of coffee, plus type of roast used.
thanks for any info you can give me.
peace,
Helene
posted by:
Helene
Philadelphia
Advertisement
  • Re: COFFEE KOMBUCHA?

Mon, February 5, 2007 - 12:05 AM
    it's true; you can definately make super yummy kombucha with coffee

i've had good success with a nice dark roast organic...

3-5 table spoons of coffee per gallon
    just like you're making coffee
    plus your usual sugar;
    i've had good success with 1.5 cups

pour your cooled coffee/sugar mix
    into your baby batch
    without letting too many of the grounds get in
    (similar to if you're using loose leaf tea)

it grows a little more slowly
    so be prepared to wait a little longer
    but it's worth the wait!

oh and don't worry if the mama has dark splotches
    it took me a while to realize that it's just coffee stains

love inspires
    even

ps let me know how it turns out... i've never met anyone else who's tried it so i'm curious to hear others experiences.
    pps do you think it's still kombucha or would it technically be something different?

Mon, February 5, 2007 - 3:02 PM
      thank you.
      now I just have to be patient till the two current batches have had their babies. then I will be able to experiment with coffee. I have some lovely New Mexico Pinon coffee from Trader Joe's that I think would be really good in this.
      I will definitely keep you informed as to the results.
    • Unsu...

Re: COFFEE KOMBUCHA?

Tue, February 6, 2007 - 7:41 PM
      I've been thinking about this! Good to know it works!
      I'm definitely going to try this.

Sun, March 25, 2007 - 5:05 PM
      WOW! WHAT A RUSH!
      I used a really dark roast the first time and let it sit for twice as long as the other batches. it's good and has a definite coffee flavor & body reaction. made a nice baby too.

Mon, March 26, 2007 - 4:49 PM
        yay! was wondering how this was coming along...

it's super yummy huh? and the buzz you get from it is definately a different vibration from classic kombucha...

i can't wait for a little bit warmer weather to get my batches brewing again.

love inspires
        e

Tue, March 27, 2007 - 3:31 PM
          yes it's good. I still can't get over how much of a body rush it induces. I love coffee and prefer it strong but this is supercharged. definitely not something to drink before going to bed. As the weather gets a bit warmer, I may try it with a bit less sugar. I'm borderline in the diabetic department and even when this stuff was "tart" it was still a bit too sweet for me. I did use 50% more sugar as you suggested. the baby it produced is quite healthy so the brewing was successful. thanks so much for your imput. I do love experimenting.

Wed, May 16, 2007 - 9:13 AM
    So, I tried making coffee kombucha...it DID take a lot longer than regular kombucha, and when I finally harvested it.... well, it's pretty damned gross.

The kombucha flavour, and the coffee flavour, seem to be at odds with each other. I couldn't quite stomach it as something "tasty".... it's currently sitting in my fridge, I'm either going to get up the nerve to drink some, or just chuck it as a failed experiment.

Yuck.

Fri, May 18, 2007 - 11:39 AM
    I've tried one batch so far....strange is the only way I could describe it. I was sooo excited to try the coffee that when it didn't turn out the way I hoped I was rather dissapointed. I have tried again (this time with Hazelnut coffee & yerba mate) and thankfully, after reading this post I am going to leave it longer than the first one. Keep your fingers crossed. If this one doesn't turn out I am trying one last time with the recipe above and then just chalk it up to experience! Thanks to all the posters!

Wed, June 6, 2007 - 3:22 PM
    I've now made three batches of coffee kombucha. My impressions:
    -> It takes twice as long or longer to ferment.
    -> The coffee flavors and the kombucha flavors meld well, but damn, it is an intense combination of flavors - not for the feint of heart. Even other experienced kombucha drinkers I know can't handle more than a sip of the coffee kombucha.
    -> Watch out for the acidity! My first batch was not bad, the second batch is almost too acidic to drink. I mix it w/ six parts water!
    -> It offers a unique buzz, but one that I can only appreciate occasionally.
    It's fun to try, though! And worth the work just to sample the results (even if you don't like it!)

Thu, June 7, 2007 - 8:54 AM
      Yeah, "intense" is definitely the word I'd use to describe it.

It's kind of like taking a Mack truck, and a dinosaur, and squishing them together and expecting them to meld well.
      Doesn't quite work..... but yeah, the buzz is kinda intense.

I have a bottle still in my fridge, I figure if I'm going out dancing one night, I'll drink a glass if I can stomach it, and fully feel that I'd be up for 2 days straight. Ha!

Tue, November 9, 2010 - 10:15 PM
        Sorry to drudge up an old topic, but this is a fascinating idea that I'm definitely going to try.

Regarding the buzz: if you soak the coffee in water for a minute (maybe less) most of the caffeine should leave, but without reducing the flavor significantly. I learned that trick from a local tea shop and saw it online somewhere.

alternatively, what about adding it as a flavoring of sorts after instead of brewing the kombucha in coffee?

Fri, June 8, 2007 - 12:50 AM
      i'm on batch number 15 or so, with the last 8 made using the coffee baby, and my brew happens much quicker now; seems like it took the 'mushroom' longer to get used to the coffee, but now that it's been drinking it for a while, it's very happy. i wondered if that would happen, having heard that jun is a type of kombucha that's been fed green tea and honey for a certain number of generations, and it seems to be the case, but i'm curious if it happens for you mojohito.

last batch completed in 12 days, right alongside my white tea. i'm still waiting on my earl grey, which usually finishes first, but i'm thinking this time the bergamont delayed things. next time i'll stick to orange pekoe.

the coffee flavour definately varies from batch to batch, and if left too long it can get vinagary, but i personally love the taste as a variant to my usual white and black.

i'm stoked that so many people have tried this! when i did the initial research into it i wasn't sure what i'd get, but it seemed like coffee had the right stuff (flavinoids and tannins) so i gave it a shot. now i'm curious what else has the same properties, not that there isn't a million different tea varieties to choose from...

Fri, October 22, 2010 - 10:47 PM
    I have been brewing Kombucha for a few months now mainly with a combination of Oolong and Green tea and 8oz of raw cane sugar with 1/4 cup of dextrose. I am interested in trying coffee kombucha and was wondering if anyone has tried making it with green coffee beans? I have a few spare scobys, so will check to make sure green beans aren't poisonous and give it a try.
    Richard

Recent topics in "Kombucha Tea"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
One fruit fly! Help! Becky 1 September 9, 2014
Divide scoby Rebecca 0 September 9, 2014
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014
Getting the labels off GT kombucha bottles DD 0 July 19, 2014