Advertisement

Cutting The scoby in half

topic posted Mon, June 6, 2011 - 12:31 PM by  Gregory
Share/Save/Bookmark
will it hurt the scoby it i cut it in half with a knife? Or should I tear it in half? Thanks
posted by:
Gregory
Wisconsin
Advertisement
  • Re: Cutting The scoby in half

Tue, June 7, 2011 - 6:47 PM
    Just joind the forum, greetings all :) i'd like to know the answer to that too Gregory!
    i'm new to kombucha making, a few weeks ago i made my first batch by myself and wanted to make one for a friend too so i seperated the scoby in half by peeling it apart, the older part of the scoby (on the bottom) was fine but the newer scoby (top) which i peeled off sank to the bottom of that batch (which i read somewhere means it's dead...)
    Anyway, all i really want to know is, is it ok to actually CUT the scoby in half as opposed to separating it by layers?
    cheers

Sat, June 18, 2011 - 9:48 AM
      >>"the newer scoby (top) which i peeled off sank to the bottom of that batch (which i read somewhere means it's dead...) "

Not true. Sometimes it just takes them awhile to find their level. They work even if they sink. I have a gallon jar which I keep for backup. When the scooby gets too thick I peel off the bottom and throw it away. The top that is left often sinks while a new one grows on top. Sometimes it rises again and they stick together. You can chop it into bits and it will still work.

The only time I ever had a bad scooby was when little files got in and laid eggs on it. It was still quite alive, but I threw it away and used my backup.

Sat, June 18, 2011 - 10:36 PM
    There was a post a while back that said cutting it with a metal knife didn't hurt them, even though you are traditionally never to let metal touch them. If you are worried, you could try a plastic knife, but the cut itself is no problem.

Tue, June 21, 2011 - 9:32 AM
      I wouldn't use a plastic knife...for the same reason you wouldn't want to use metal...it would sap out toxic chemicals from the plastic same way as the metal knife...wood is the way to go...untreated wood if you want to get really anal about it...
      • Unsu...

Re: Cutting The scoby in half

Tue, June 21, 2011 - 10:18 AM
        If the metal is stainless steel I don't buy that it does anything. Especially if it's only in contact with the scoby for a minute.

Personally, I have even thrown the whole scoby into the blender, blended it up, and fermented a new batch. It worked fine, and created a new scoby fine and created new Kombucha fine.

Keep in mind that the scoby is just a colony of yeasts and bacteria. It doesn't matter what shape they are in.

Recent topics in "Kombucha Tea"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014
One fruit fly! Help! Becky 0 August 15, 2014
Getting the labels off GT kombucha bottles DD 0 July 19, 2014
my first scoby Roger 0 June 3, 2014