Advertisement

GINGER recipes!

topic posted Thu, May 28, 2009 - 8:14 PM by  scott
Share/Save/Bookmark
Anybody successful at adding Ginger to their brew after it ferments and before bottling? I like a stong ginger flavor, but I'm not sure how to extract the ginger from solid form and get it into the bottles... anyone have any tips?
posted by:
scott
Oregon
Advertisement
  • Re: GINGER recipes!

Thu, May 28, 2009 - 10:21 PM
    you may make a very strong ginger root extract by slicing the root thin and simmering it covered in water for an hour or more.... it's super spicy and a small amount will perk up a bottle well...

Thu, May 28, 2009 - 10:33 PM
    I run a few pounds of fresh ginger through a juicer and freeze it in ice cube trays. It's a PITA so I do a large batch when young fresh ginger comes into the market. Then I don't have to do it for another 5-6 months, thawing only what I need for each batch.

With a plastic funnel, I add one tablespoon of raw juice per bottle. Makes the ferment go crazy with carbonation and, of course, it's very tasty.

Thu, February 11, 2010 - 12:45 PM
      Is this 1 TBS to 16 oz bottle? I bought about 3 pounds ginger and am planning to juice it, freeze, and then use in a secondary ferment. Any tips on the juicing end of things. I have a pulp ejection juicer. I hope I get enough juice to make last as long as yours does.
      thanks
      Linda
  • j
    j
    offline 0

Re: GINGER recipes!

Sat, May 30, 2009 - 10:42 AM
    I add a ginger syrup to my brew while bottling it. It makes an excellent drink.

1 small hand of ginger, grated (a large handful or 3 or 4 ounces – precision is not important)
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups water or juice of 1 or two lemons + enough water to make 2 cups liquid total.
    Heat liquid and sugar in a pan and stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, add grated ginger and continue boiling for 3 or 4 minutes. Let it steep and cool until you won't burn yourself on it. Strain through a mesh and squeeze or press solids in strainer to get all the syrup. You can make a half recipe or double it.

When bottling add 1 to 2 ounces of syrup to each bottle. I like 1-1/2 ounces per 16 oz bottle. My friends prefer 2 ounces. I think it's better with the lemon but it won't be a purely gingery flavor. Let sit for a few days and then enjoy. -- Make sure the syrup is cool before adding to the booch so you don't chance killing it. The leftover syrup should keep more or less indefinitely.

Warning: if bottled in Grolsch-type bottles this can make an extremely bubbly brew. Open only over the sink and be ready to pour it in a glass. Left in the bottle it will foam out. I've lost more than half the bottle while looking for a glass. - Also, each bottle will usually have a baby scooby in it. They grow up just fine if caught rather than lost with the excess foam.
    • Viv
      Viv
      offline 0

Re: GINGER recipes!

Sat, May 30, 2009 - 2:08 PM
      I am a raw foodist so I prefer the ginger to be fresh. I have juiced fresh ginger and added it to my brewed kombucha. I have also
      just added fresh grated ginger to my brewed kombucha. The grated ginger settles to the bottom of the container but gives flavor to the Kombucha. You could strain it out after a couple of days, but I prefer to keep things simple and don't mind the ginger bits.

Viv

Sun, May 31, 2009 - 11:04 AM
        I would say that I agree with the simple method that Viv has suggested. I am a huge fan of adding some raw fruit every batch after brewing and before bottling. After experimenting, I have discovered that leaving the bottled Kombucha at room temp for 5 days gives the ideal carbonation.
        I have made to date: a raspberry batch, a blackberry batch, a citrus batch, a apple ginger batch and even tried a banana batch.
        This process leaves chunks of floating fruit in the tea, but that ends up being my favorite part of the drink.
        Delicious!

Does anybody else do the fruit thing during the bottling process?

Sun, May 31, 2009 - 6:42 PM
          yes a piece of candied ginger is my norm..... and l never put mine in the frig yet have never had a bottle around for more than a month....

Sun, May 31, 2009 - 8:35 PM
          ooooo yum how much friut do you use?? im very new to brew kombucha, do you still brew start your brew with tea??? does it have to be green or black tea, i have onlt tried one brew which i used herbal and it was nice, but i heard you have to use black or green tea not sur ey thou, yummy cant wait

Sun, June 7, 2009 - 9:11 AM
            When you first begin brewing, that is the best time because you can try whatever your heart desires. It is a very simple recipe and it is hard to really mess up. If you get a bad batch, you can always start anew next batch.

To answer your question though, I vary the amount of fruit and still get great flavor. An approximate ratio would be 8:1 parts kombucha to parts fruit. I use green and black tea as starters but that is also brewer's preference. I tend to prefer black because I feel it compliments the fruit better.

I think that fresh fruit is definitely best but I have friends who condense it to a syrup. i have also seen suggestions on this web site about syrups. it's up to you.

Just remember to cap the bottles after adding the fruit. Best results are yielding in an unoxidized state. Leave the bottles at room temp for 3-5 days and then refridgerate.

Happy brewing!

Wed, February 10, 2010 - 3:39 PM
          I'm very curious about your recipes. Would you tell me proportions of fruit to tea? Do you vary this depending on the fruit? What size bottle do you ferment in. You say at room temperature. My house is pretty cold so I was thinking I might need to give some bottom heat. MY first batch is almost done and I want to do a secondary ferment.
          Thanks,
          Linda

Sun, July 5, 2009 - 7:05 PM
    I've had really nice results with my attempts to "mimmic" GT's Ginger Berry (blueberry & ginger juice flavor). I use the 2 stage bottling process. I did not have time to make my blue berry juice from scratch this time so I used store bought organic. I tried to find the stuff with the simplest list of ingredients, blue berries & water. I will make my own next time & let you know how I do it & the results. Obviously you want the freshest, highest quality stuff you can get your hands on. Preferably, organic of course.

1. Grate ginger
    2. Squeeze enough of the grated ginger through cheese cloth to get 2-3 table spoons of juice.
    3. Add ginger juice to a half cup of blue berry juice (I didn't have the time to make my own blue berry juice this time, so I used R.W. Knudsen's, & it worked well).
    4. Put the concoction into a clean 2 liter bottle.
    5. Add your fresh Kombucha ferment. I slightly squeeze the 2 liter bottle so it is just a tad bit squished when it is full to the rim, & then screw the cap on real tight.
    6. Let sit at room temp for 2-4 days? It depends on how much yeast is in your ferment, sugar remaining, your ambient/room temp, etcetera. But You will know it is becoming nicely carbonated because your squished bottle will slowly harden & become very firm.
    7. Once it is nice & firm, & preferably before it explodes, refrigerate it for a couple days to slow the fermantation. 24 hours is usually adequate. You can rush it & bottle the stuff right away, but chances are good you will loose a lot of the carbonation you do it this way to create & make a mess on top of it. After a day or so you are ready to bottle in individual containers or drink it. I like to then let my individual bottles "rest" for a few days, but your really good to go at that point. Enjoy!

Mon, March 15, 2010 - 11:37 PM
      this sounds awesome. I will try it. I made ginger/leomon KT which was yummy but will try this now. Have you managed making your own blueberry juice yet? How was it in comparison to bought one? I don't see blueberries being easy to juice?!?! What about just putting the berries in straight?

Sun, March 28, 2010 - 8:16 PM
      Is it ok to put it into glass bottles with lids for the second ferment? Will the glass break from carbonation? i want it as fizzy as possible, but don't want a mess or injury. My husband suggested corks, but i dont know if that will work.

Thu, March 18, 2010 - 8:55 PM
    I add about 1 tablespoon of ginger juice to 32 oz of brewed kombucha. I use a plastic bottle and squeeze it. Fill to the top, put the lid on tight and then set at room temp for a few days. When the container is rock hard you will have carbonation and a great ginger taste. I do this with blueberries and mango as well.

Recent topics in "Kombucha Tea"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014
One fruit fly! Help! Becky 0 August 15, 2014
Getting the labels off GT kombucha bottles DD 0 July 19, 2014
my first scoby Roger 0 June 3, 2014