Advertisement

how can I get fizz?

topic posted Mon, November 20, 2006 - 1:53 PM by  jade
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hello.

I have made several tasty batches, but can't seem to create that fizziness I love.

I tried leaving the bottled kombucha out for a few days with lids on as I read that was helpful but still no fizz!

I appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks!

E.
posted by:
jade
Advertisement
  • Re: how can I get fizz?

Tue, November 21, 2006 - 4:15 PM
    you have to bottle it and leave it to sit for at least five days. it can't have much air, and it helps if you add some source of sugar (i add a chunk of ginger to the bottle)...sometimes it takes a bit longer than five days...but it works!

Tue, November 21, 2006 - 7:37 PM
      Thanks - I did add some ginger to the latest bottles which have been sitting for 2 days... will wait longer...

The first batch sat for almost a week and never got to fizziness so maybe it needed some sugar or more time....

Thanks for responding!

E.
  • Unsu...

Re: how can I get fizz?

Tue, November 21, 2006 - 8:42 PM
    Just bottle it and let it sit.. Try doing it without sugar or anything, should work.

If you let your batch go way sour before bottling it might not get fizzy at all. Bottle it when it is not so sour.

During fermentation I check the taste by pouring a little out of the brew container, it seems to get slightly effervescent on its own as it starts to ferment, the fizz increases to a point, and if I let it go longer, the fizz decreases. When it goes totally sour there's no fizz. I think the effervescence is a measure of the live enzymes. I try to bottle my batches when that effervescence reaches its peak, usually about 2 weeks. If it gets bottled at that peak, it only takes 2 or 3 days in the bottle to get really fizzy.

Wed, November 22, 2006 - 9:54 AM
      Thanks, Cuga. I think you are right about lettting it get too vinegary b/c that was how my first batch was - I let it sit for more than 3 weeks fermenting and it was pure vinegar - WOW that's sour! The second batch I fermented for about 6 days to leave some sweetness... Finding the peak "ripeness" is an experiment!

Now after letting it sit out, bottled, capped, a few days it is nicely effervescent! Success! (I also added approx 1/4 cup pure cranberry and raspberry juice before capping bottles. It tastes lovely.)

Happy brewing,

E.

Tue, November 21, 2006 - 9:05 PM
    I let mine brew longer- 9-10 days instead of 7-8. I hear you have to be careful about it going vinegary doing that, though.

So if you let it sit bottled to get the fizz, is this refrigerated?

Wed, November 22, 2006 - 2:34 PM
      i've been keeping mine out of the fridge during what we've dubbed the "post fermentation time"
      as long as you cut off the oxygen source and allow the yeast to keep living, the fizz should occur. i think if you let it cold during this time, it might suspend the yeast from continuing to eat the remaining sugar in the brew

Wed, November 22, 2006 - 5:05 PM
        i've found that keeping it out of the fridge helps,
        but what definately gets it fizzy
        is dropping a tea-table spoon of sugar into the bottles
        and letting it sit for a few days

love inspires
        even

Wed, December 6, 2006 - 2:33 PM
          has anyone tried putting honey in?
          i know honey is a natural antibiotic, so... i don't know if it would interfere with the culture or not.
          i hope someone's tried it and it works! because i LOVE honey!
          i imagine it would taste really yummy too.

Sat, January 6, 2007 - 1:44 AM
    I'm sure everyones brewing schedules and taste vary. I usually have several 4 qt. bowls going at the same time. I've only been brewing kombucha since last Jan. - my brewing time is 14-15 days. I bottle it up and let it sit up for the next 14-15 days while another batch is brewing. I use the EZ-cap bottles top them off with no air in the bottle. I often use ginger (while bottling) and prior to opening a fresh bottle I either chill with ice or in the refirgerator. Chilling with ice seems to work better. Anyway, on the fizz...my last ten batches have had excellent effervescence equal to any bottle of champagne. When opened it actually fizzes right out of the bottle. fwiw, my 14-15 day brewing time works for me providing a perfect balance between sweet/acidic. My kombucha brew is superior to every commercial brand I've tried.

kombuchatea.tribe.net/photos/...f475e882

Recent topics in "Kombucha Tea"