Advertisement

Vinegar eels

topic posted Tue, February 5, 2008 - 1:18 PM by  Sean
Share/Save/Bookmark
Has anybody had trouble with vinegar eels or know anything about them? I got them in several different batches a while back - then started with a completely new culture after sanitizing everything. Now they've come back?
Do you think they could be from the tea I am using or something? I used some looseleaf white tea for this batch.
Any way to kill them?
posted by:
Sean
California
Advertisement
  • Re: Vinegar eels

Tue, February 5, 2008 - 8:09 PM
    What is a vinegar eel? Sorry to not have any answers, but I just started brewing and am trying to learn more. Good luck with them anyways
  • Re: Vinegar eels

Fri, February 8, 2008 - 11:26 AM
    I guess they are a type of nematode that can live in vinegar, and hence sometimes in kombucha. Experts say they are not harmful to ingest, but they feed on the cellulose of the mushroom and eventually kill it. They're tiny little buggers but you can see them with a flashlight and a goo eye. It looks like your tea is squirming with millions of little sperms.
    I don't know much more about them except I don't like them. I'm sterilizing and starting again - I tried to kill them but couldn't.
  • Unsu...

Re: Vinegar eels

Sun, February 10, 2008 - 7:49 PM
    you are not making Kombucha if you are using white tea. the culture needs caffine to brew a real kombucha scoby. I bet the eels come because the levels of vinegar are really high because of a variant of the KT scoby.

Recent topics in "Kombucha Tea"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Candida ;(....ladies! heather 38 November 3, 2014
Divide scoby Rebecca 1 November 1, 2014
One fruit fly! Help! Becky 1 September 9, 2014
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014